Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Looking from the inside as I'm caged by the leopard....

These are two recent posts at Facebook before I soon post a blog called 
"The essence to the Search for the Mountain Tiger"

Looking from the inside as I'm caged by the leopard....
Asa has been returning to Leopard Camp for visits after two weeks away. Increased human activity, mainly locals cutting bamboo, has made him wary but it has been really pleasing that he keeps well away from people, he hides well. I've been re configuring the camp for this next stage and I now virtually live (for sleeping when I'm there, eating etc) in a cage which is Asa proof for my protection and especially my gear which he still destroys. We still sometimes hunt together and occasionally just hang out but as I've pointed out recently the young leopard has become immensely strong and at feeding time if he hasn't hunted he is very aggressive, good natural big cat behaviour. There are all sorts of logistics in the feeding process where he has set up his own territory so I have to be on my guard. This is good. Big cat family dynamics are intense especially as the separation process progresses and to be physically part of that process is hard to describe but I am careful, would be bloody stupid if I wasn't.
There will be more images soon. You can get an idea what the new photo site will be like at www.mountaintiger.photography - note where the dots are.
Ok, that's it from me for a few days, it's tough but it's going well. My next bog will be "The Essence to the Search for the Mountain Tiger"... it will give insights to my book and will hopefully explain a few more things re the big picture of what is going on here in this extraordinary part of the Himalaya. Many thanks to those who read my main blog at www.wildtiger.org/jackkinross
I'm behind in communications as usual but thanks for the support which is coming through different channels. More soon, Jai Bagh, cheers Jack.



Conservation, it's about wildlife, habitat and very much about people...

I'll hopefully be able to blog properly in the next few days but many thanks for the messages re my "health"... hey, no problem, I'm just finding that every few days after being at Leopard Camp I tend to crash and burn a bit, it's ok, it's just the sheer intensity of working with a wild animal in this environment...but I'm happy with my balance and the way things are going. I'm down in the village right now, a lot going on, some positive action re mountain safety and the strong possibility of a new health post outreach at a village a few hours walk away. I'll explain more soon. Conservation, particularly here in the Himalaya is so much about people and community looking to the way forward to achieve balance with this challenging environment...
Hopefully the new format for Mountaintiger Photography will be up and running soon, the layout looks good. My thanks to those who have been patiently waiting for images and I really appreciate every purchase as this is going to become an even more important part of funding projects here.
Asa is doing well, the young leopard is becoming such a powerful force not just in his being but in the way he has changed perceptions and increased understanding. More on this soon, cheers Jack.



Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...