Saturday, March 7, 2015

Understanding the mountain... and thank you for your support...


The realization a couple of weeks back that I would not be seeing family for some time yet due the the circumstances that have evolved, well it forced me to dig deep.  My family understand, they are supportive and that means a lot to me, I'm thankful.

I'm also thankful to the people on the ground here as well as in distant parts including those who are following and supporting by buying images.  I'm particularly grateful to those who have messaged me with true understanding of the work here.  It is about far more than the leopard Asa,  the wild cat I am rewilding.  There is no doubt that Asa is central to a lot of activity, a lot of thinking, he is very much part of a big picture and in that way he is a gift because he is making people think.  The people buying images are supporting that big picture and it was pointed out to me recently by someone I respect, a mentor, that I should perhaps be doing more to remind people of that in particular that this thing is not about "saving" or "protecting" Asa, the scope is far wider.

It's about habitat protection and that includes a strong human element.  Increased protection status is the aim and that encompasses many issues including mountain safety, something I will write about more soon but has been touched on with recent events here in the Himalaya, unfortunately of late including too much tragedy.  I've now got two long days trekking to understand a situation with a view to improving safety.

By buying images people are helping several aspects of life here, thank you.  Your support makes it easier when those realizations about family hit home. It's not easy but it's totally worth doing. Once again thank those who understand that in the big picture.

Cheers Jack.

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...