Sunday, March 1, 2015

Beauties and the Beast... and a Nobel Peace Prize recognized hero...


The image is from several months ago when Bidhya and Bindu visited me at the village.  I had been roughing it at Leopard Camp for many weeks hence the yeti beard.  The Bs gave me a very hard time about it and insisted I tidy up my act... which I didn't... but have now that I am spending most nights down in the village now that Asa has reclaimed Leopard Camp. So now hair is trimmed, I thought it best I didn't scare anyone.

The Bs have been integral in the project and both are studying hard in their respective fields of wildlife research, I have great faith in them both.  Opportunities for women in the conservation sector are slowly opening up and it is vital this continues to bring the balance needed for policy making.  In saying that though I am encouraging the Bs to spend as much time in the field as they can in their careers.  Although it's hard work it is paramount that researchers do the hard yards.  These two may look like butter doesn't melt in their mouths but I have seen them both tough it out when it counts.

I write this because right now Cecile is down in Pokhara interviewing a good friend of mine, Jagan Suba Gurung.  Jagan is a conservationist and women's rights activist who has done remarkable work over the years, so much so she was recognized by the Nobel Peace Prize Committee.  We'll have an upcoming story on Jagan, conservation in a developing country is very much intertwined with politics and social issues including the big ones of  health, education and equality.  Cheers Jack.

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...