Friday, November 20, 2015

Keep on going... but is Nepal a failing state?


The image is one I took a couple of years ago on another part of the Terai but typifies life here for many. I haven't been out with the camera for several days now, I'm head down in my laptop finishing a report and trying to form strategy in ever changing circumstances here. Hopefully I'll be back in the jungle and mountains soon, I'm better there... but as I mentioned in a comment in the last post (on Facebook) these blogs aren't about me, they're about what's happening, an honest appraisal. With regard to projects the situation is making things increasingly difficult. I'll blog soon about a conversation several months ago about being proactive and future proofing, a conversation that motivates me.
The thing is life has become much more difficult for many than it should be in a world that actually has the resources. Here in Nepal an ugly question has unfortunately come up again in the wake of the humanitarian crisis, is the nation actually capable of ruling itself? The lack of leadership and vision and the continual blame everyone else game has worn thin and there are so many indications that India, the giant neighbour very much involved in the plight here, is losing patience. It has been pointed out to me several times now that Nepal's current plight mirrors situations where history has shown failing states being taken over. This type of talk makes for an uncomfortable backdrop when people are just trying to get by, are just trying to keep on going... and the continual problems of lack of electricity now compounded with the fuel crisis and resulting essential goods shortages just have to be dealt with.
If I am going to give a personal perspective the thing that concerns me is that the lack of good leadership has been tolerated so long by a nation used to hardship that there is little will among the very clever minds who do exist here to become leaders themselves, to really put their country first. I spend time with some of these clever young minds, I am fearful for their future and Nepal's identity. Once again, the more the situation worsens the more the environmental consequences will affect us all...

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...