Saturday, July 29, 2017

Time to say WTF... 2 media pieces leaving me shaking my head...

This post is a bit of a hard hitter because the heart is on the sleeve.I can be more gentle and at Facebook you will find other updates that are that way,some positive stuff.  This post is at Facebook if you do wish to comment.


 I really don't know. Ok,into it.The first one, "No leopard sighted in Valley in last 10 months" pertains to the Kathmandu Valley,this is the link https://thehimalayantimes.com/…/no-leopard-sighted-in-vall…/ but "increased prey species" ... really? Very keen to see the data on that! And "because of monsoon" ... um...really again? My understanding is monsoon only started in the valley a few weeks ago. Once again,this whole thing smacks of denial with regard to the plight of the leopard. Could it be that there are less leopards? You bet your ass it could be that, a global issue,not just limited to Nepal. By the way,in case you didn't know,the leopard is not a protected species in Nepal...yet!
The second article "Predator X: Inside sick Facebook group where hunters post photos of trophy kills" link http://www.dailystar.co.uk/…/Predator-X-Facebook-group-hunt… well, the image and headline say it all.
I have a colleague working in Africa researching what is really going on in several countries there re pseudo conservation. He has asked me to spend some time with him investigating trophy hunting, I will when the time is right, too much to do here at the moment but he emailed me recently saying there is more money spent on airfares by "new wave conservationists" than is hitting the ground (pun intended,because the whole bloody thing is a plane crash) and the hundreds of NGOs plus tenuous links to trophy hunting makes for disturbing reading.
Ok,you go back to your tigers,elephants,rhinos and other rock stars,I've got more to do today for a big cat getting ignored and obliterated...

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...