Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Changing weather, changing world...


Good morning. After many hours studying leopard tracks yesterday,  I quickly dropped back to the village before a snow storm hit last night, the events in Paris seemingly far away but not really as the signal allowed me to follow them.

The young leopard, Asa, will have found a tree to keep warm in.  I'll do a food drop sometime in the next 48 hours as the weather has meant I have to be flexible.  It's a long way to reach Asa's territory now and the route can get treacherous in these conditions.  I was going to blog about the strategy I'm using (I will soon) but I ended up having to send many emails last night, a result of our changing world.

Stay Strong France...


This is an image of Asa I took three days when we reached a high point of 3123m (according to my GPS), the leopard had trotted off ahead but when we got to the top it was like "where to now boss?"... food, that's where, leopard.

It was a winswept ridge, those of you who understand the mountains will know how in this conditions big snow drifts are on one side of a ridge and the other is exposed to prevailing bluster.  After last however this area will be under a lot of snow and the temperatures will mean it be so for the next two months at least.

The locals had put a small rock sign to show the way.  Not many people go up there which is the whole idea behind trying to have Asa habituate in that region.  I'll explain more about this soon.  Cheers Jack.

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...