Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Rewilding of the leopard Asa, 50 week mark and many positives...


In the image I'm setting a camera (and testing the one taking the photo) at around 3000m in Asa's area.  It was part of one the longest days of the project so far, my vertical ascent for the day was close to 2000m over several kilometres.  Asa's territory is well above the snow line and over the next two weeks I will gradually lead him into the next valley.

This is one of the most challenging things I've ever done.  I've just reached that place physically where I have to careful I don't get run down and I'm grateful to Ian (see the www.facebook.com/jackkinross  post before this one) for offering to arrange protein supplements to come my way.  There's been many acts of generosity including a great gift of some binoculars from Ivan Roglet and of course the feet saving act of Donatella in her current action of getting boots to me from Italy.  Having yeti feet is not an advantage when trying to get footwear.  Many people have gone through Mountaintiger Photography to make valuable contributions which will mean much needed camera trap replacements.

All these things are contributing to Asa being free and wild, they really are.  As I've mentioned before although I'm physically alone high up on a mountain (well not quite alone, I'm with a leopard) the support network is something I could not do without, it is integral to the project.

It's really important to keep emphasizing that this project is about much more than this one leopard and me. Sometimes I get a little frustrated when I read comments like "wow, he's doing this for this one leopard"... I know it is a well meaning type of remark but I urge people to look at the big picture, maybe go to www.wildleopard.net and also check out the projects pages at www.wildtiger.org

In saying that the focus on Asa has meant success on many levels.  Whatever happens from this point there has been a bank of learning and increased hope that rewilding has a way forward and not just the relocation of predators into areas where they've been wiped out.  My own feeling is that we are only at the tip of the iceberg as to where we can go with rewilding.

In the Facebook post I mentioned how Leopard Camp will now have a different role, it will become a place people can visit to understand Asa's story.  Of course they wont see the leopard but they will experience his habitat.

 I have the task now of setting up another base camp at a higher altitude.  There is a lot more legwork to come although in just over two weeks, if things go to plan, I will travel by motor vehicle for the first time in six months.  I am looking forward to spending a day or two in Pokhara but I have no doubt I will have one eye on the mountains, looking towards the ridge and valley that I know Asa is wild and free.

And then I will return to that place...

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...