Saturday, November 11, 2017

I wonder how many leopards have to die before the wake up?

I've just made the following post at Facebook where you can comment if you wish:

Hats off to Pragati again for being one of the very few with the courage and passion to speak up about this. I also want to thank the crew of helpers here at Bardia National Park, there are people here who understand but in the main this is a disgusting situation through the leopard's global range. As someone who is giving his all for this species I can tell you right now the situation is not good, governments, the big orgs and the public in general are letting this animal down badly, as well as in many cases, the people living with them being let down too. I do have hope that here in Nepal the leopard will be given full protected status, there are people who want that but once again, throughout the global range, there is too much apathy, a very poor indictment on our species. I'm sick of promises from the sectors I've mentioned above, I could have built ten rescue centres if a dollar came for every promise and soon I'll be be blogging about a philosophy from another diligent leopard advocate, India's leading expert, Vidya Athreya. It's called SOCIAL CARING CAPACITY. I do think there will be a wake up on this eventually but how many cats have to bloody die in the meantime? My feet are on the ground, every single day, I'm even passing up a fully paid for trip to Australia to speak at a conference because leaving the field at that time would not be right. It would have been nice to see family for the first time in ages but hopefully Pragati will go instead, she has the guts to do a great job. But support is needed overall. Words are words and can be powerful but they will never be a substitute for action...

This is what Pragati wrote at her Twitter feed @GreeningPlanet with regard to the article below and it's also posted at Living with Leopards

On Friday, a man was arrested when trying to sell a leopard hide from Shankhamul in KTM (Kathmandu). Same day, a leopardess carcass without its head, claws n skin found near Nepal-India border. have received far less attention and trade remains largely ignored.


Combing on near India-Nepal border to nab leopard poachers



Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...