Wednesday, February 25, 2015

"The Secret Cat" - a maligned species... angry Asa, the Leopard of Hope, is making change...


The image might look good on a black T Shirt huh?  Yeah look, he can be an angry dude but that's just his way.  In a few hours I carry a very big hunk of meat through the jungle to the leopard.  Yep, quite a few people in the village think Bagh Baje is crazy doing stuff like that.  I don't care.  My mum still loves me.

But seriously a big thanks to all those who responded in many ways to the last few posts (there have been more updates on social media)..  I wont go into the gory details of how it works with the meat but that is a big part of nature, for something to live something has to die.  The strategy I am using for this transition period before relocation is about keeping things as raw and wild as possible.  And believe me, it all gets a little crazy up there when this leopard knows there is food around.

I don't sleep much.  I've been thinking very deeply about leopards in general.  They are really starting to suffer right throughout their vast range.  The skin trade, conflict situations, just the way they are generally perceived, as I've said several times before they don't have the rock star status of icon species like tiger and snow leopard.  It's incredibly alarming if the estimates are correct that in India there are now more tigers than leopards.  It's become a forgotten species, a maligned cat.

The leopard, and I am not just talking about Asa, needs friends.  For a long time now, while trying to understand their habitat, I've hugely admired these animals.  Working with Asa for over a year has increased that to even greater respect and sheer bloody wonder .  They are truly incredible animals.

So I will fight for them.  We need them much more than they need us.  We are privileged to share our planet with them.

I now start writing emails to the people who have helped of late.  You are making a difference because you are helping Asa make change.  There's a lot more to be done but let's continue to move forward.

Cheers Jack.

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...