Monday, February 23, 2015

A gut wrenching day... the leopard is strong but I need to find out who his real friends are...


I had to cage Asa today.  I feel sick about it.  It wasn't his fault and it wasn't mine.  I had to do it about ninety minutes after this image was taken.  At that time Asa was really enjoying himself leaping out of trees trying to knock me over. Human intervention after that meant I had to confine him which was totally gut wrenching.

I'm not going to go into the details here, now.   Suffice to say it is indicative of global issues, EVERY nation has to answer to this stuff.  I've just been adding to a chapter in my book.  The chapter is called "I want to see a tiger"... "Yeah sure but does the tiger want to see you" - it touches on many sutuations including today's.  Big cats are treated badly by us.  The leopard is treated the worst.  The skin trade is out of control and habitat encroachment pretty much the same way.

I hated locking the door to that cage.  My fingers are shaky just writing this.  Personal agendas, misinformation, greed, stupidity blah blahblah where do I end?  The simple fact is Asa would not be in that cage if it were not for these human factors.  I will spend a lot of tomorrow with him but he will have to be caged that night as well.  I have a plan, he will be wild and free again after that.  We're going to bloody win this thing, I'm even more determined...

Asa has friends in the human world, I thank you.  He needs more.  When I say Asa I very much mean his species.  Of course I can extend that to say many species.  What price a rhino horn...

I'm fucking sick of personal agendas.  Please excuse my language but that is how I feel.  Wildlife protection at ground level often needs ruthless honesty.  It requires a certain type of person, this is not a place for crybabies.  Those who know me best and support my way know I will do whatever it takes, I will not flinch.

That doesn't make this day any easier though.  I wont sleep well but you can be rest assured that will not diminish the fight...

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...