Saturday, June 13, 2015

WILDLIFE PROTECTION - means being a stubborn cop for the sake of our own species...


A big thanks to Paul F. Tanghe both for his generosity and a very interesting discussion last night. Paul is in Nepal as part of research through the sixteen rhino states.  His question is based round why some countries are doing a better job than others protecting the rhino.  Paul's impressive methodology and passion for the subject is resulting in valuable data which because I cannot steal (joke (partly)) meant we did not stray from the subject for several hours over dinner.  I took Bindu along as I knew she would gain from this and it was great to hear the thoughts being provoked... Bindu and I argue about just about everything so it was good to have some common ground (joke (partly)).  I'm looking forward to Paul's progress as I'm sure it's going to help with decision making ahead.  A good guy doing good work.

And good decision making is what it's all about ultimately.  I feel lucky to come from a culture where one's backside is kicked very quickly when stupid decisions are made.  My capacity to be too stubborn early on means I still have many boot marks, good reminders to try and get it right particularly in the high stakes world of wildlife protection.  I also had a very good teacher in the mountains, the place where ego gets squashed very quickly once the realization hits how tiny and insignificant one is.  Remove personal agendas and make good decisions based on the common good, maybe why New Zealand despite being a tiny nation excels at Rugby, we put the team first.

Sometimes I'm accused of putting wildlife first... well, I don't give a flying firetruck (I think that's the right word, it begins with F and ends in K) and that's where maybe being stubborn  helps (right now father laughing, mother wincing) but I firmly believe that if we get it right for wildlife we're on the right track to getting it right for humanity.  This is where I get on my high horse and write wildlife conservationists are in fact humanitarians.

Paul's thoughts on the rhino having "sacred value" in some countries pointing to more effective protection tie in with my own thinking.  Let's not get confused about the word "sacred"... but more on that another day because it's just after 5.30am and I have to make the very important decision about how much coffee to put in the next cup.  And speaking of cups... actually no... I meant cops... I have to go and be a stubborn one with two very small leopards before making the long journey to the territory of another much bigger leopard, Asa.

And just to reiterate a post yesterday, to anyone here in Nepal right now, please take care and consideration when travelling through the country.  It pains me that I'm going to have to have this discussion in a few days with someone who I feel has made a stupid decision... but because I've made a million mistakes and taking many beatings because of them my gut feeling is that I have to be Stubborn Cop with one of my own species.

Enjoy your dal baht.  Cheers Jack.

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...