Tuesday, July 21, 2015

#wildlife #habitat #people KEEPING IT REAL... A quick project status report...


I went looking for Large Billed Crows this morning.  When I finally found some the thing they were standing on wouldn't keep still... #ReadyToRun


A quick update on the leopard cubs before I head high into the Annapurna (Asa territory and then to just below 4000m to leopard/snow leopard overlap) to check and move cameras before heading to Simjung with equipment for the school built by WildTiger.  Young leopards Tika and Ram are now around three months old and time is going quickly.  To see their confidence and strength this morning left me feeling very positive.  I am playing bad cop with them now, they know not to come near me and while their stubborn attitude is admirable they have to maintain a wariness of humans.  Those of you who have followed these blogs and my work with Asa know what I mean.  There will be another quick session tomorrow morning where I will frighten them again, they will run to Asis or scurry up trees, it has to be this way.

Asis and I are preparing a status report with input from wildlife technician Tika Ram Tharu and vet in charge Amir Sadaula.  This report goes to the desks of Chitwan National Park Chief Warden Kamal Jung Kunwar and Biodiversity Conservation Centre boss Chiran Pokharel.  Asis and Tika Ram will complete meetings while I am away as we get the new Stage 1 location signed off and ready to be built.

It's not easy and this morning the sweat, mosquitoes, leeches as well as proximity of potentially dangerous wildlife kept things real but these factors only strengthen the resolve to do the right thing.

A huge thank you to everyone supporting our work.  This would not be happening without you. Cheers Jack. 

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...