Monday, January 11, 2016

The complex mosaic of big cats, their habitat and the people who live there...


Here in Nepal there are earthquake ravaged areas where people are freezing in tents or worse, so more and more trees get cut down in leopard territory.  On the Terai, like the rest of the country the blockade has meant gas shortages, more and more trees are cut down in tiger territory...

I said to Judy from WWF yesterday there are so many dots to join.  The word mosaic came to mind and then last night I came across this image of the mosaic tiger I had created years ago, it fits my thinking right now.

There’s been days lately when I wish I’d chosen an easier path, maybe rocket science, surely not as complex as this situation.  The last few years have shown me more than ever that it’s all going to get even more complicated regarding the way we can co-exist with big cats.  Veteran Nepali conservationist Dr Shant Raj Jnawali said to me yesterday that he felt that 80% of serious rescue and conflict situations were leopard related.  When you consider that every year people also lose their lives in conflict with tiger, elephant and rhino, well, that 80% is a big figure.

What is an answer today may not be the answer tomorrow.  In that regard we have to try and stay one step ahead, not an easy task in a country which is struggling in so many ways.  My help has been asked for in another country where tiger is the main conflict species and the animal itself is struggling to exist.   I will visit there in a few months in the hope that what we are seeking to apply here may help as well as learning from that locality.  And that’s the thing, every region has its own set of issues but one commonality with Asian big cat habitat is that the people living there are generally struggling... back to my point in the first two sentences.


Poverty leading to poaching and then development leading to habitat encroachment... add to that the issues of big cat rescue, rehabilitation and rewilding, each highly complex in themselves.  Academics, activists and keyboard warriors can jump up and down as much as they like but believe me at ground level it’s not rocket science, it’s something much more complex with the lives of people and wildlife at stake...

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...