Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Into leopard country, for truth happy and sad... and the support of family and friends..


The posts are at Facebook (along with other updates) should you wish to comment.

Namaste from Nepal again, the quick blog has become a much more regular ritual lately, as I mentioned a few posts back, they are often a type of summary from adding to notes and journals in the mornings.

Lately I've been thinking deeply about families who have had children taken by leopards.  This barely makes the news and a link I posted yesterday to an article about the caste system was not without relevance.  Very complex situation.  As a father and a conservationist I'm highly motivated to improve mitigation in what is a serious, growing and ever changing problem.  The next few months involve a lot of leg work and talking to these families is part of that.

Yesterday evening a couple of people here said to me how happy they were to see my Facebook post with the image of my father.  They knew I've been really worried about dad's health and there was the understanding of how hard it is to not see family (for years sometimes) due to the nature of what I do.  That meant a lot to me and the words were timely along with the image of Dad.  Both my parents have strength, as a family we've been tested through loss and there is a bond largely unspoken that means a lot to me especially when so far away.

The updates at wildtiger.org and wildleopard.net are nearly complete, there'll be reference to the Leopard Task Force as well as a strong emphasis on the sale of images to fund our work which is including an increased level of anti-poaching support.  I've had to wade through a lot of legal stuff lately plus get a concept note finished.  I'm happy to be heading to the Owl Festival tomorrow in Sikles, here in the Kaski.  It's leopard territory so I'll be asking lots of questions to the locals but it's going to be great catching up with like minded people visiting the area.  I'm so busy I rarely get to festivals and Nepal is world champion at festivals.

Thank you for the support and caring about these issues.  It's in the testing times you find out who your real friends are.

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...