Monday, December 29, 2014

"Marking Territory"... and New Year's Best Wishes to all...


In the early morning light the young leopard marks his territory by scraping those razor sharp claws along the trunk of a fallen tree.  You can see his power now, a strength matched by the energy of a predator living free, wild where he supposed to be...

I've encountered Chituwa Asa twice in the last few days.  He is doing well.  In between times I've trekked long and hard, into valleys to understand yak pastures, onto a high ridge to spend an evening huddled by a fire while a local tells me of Himalayan Thar, Blue Sheep and Musk Deer.  My increasing understanding of predator activity is still dwarfed by the secrets of the mountains, some will be revealed, some not, keep an honest heart and let that be.

I visit a Health Post so as to learn. I talk to a man about his vision to plant the right crops that will strengthen a community and stabilize a deforested hillside.  I encounter someone from far away but close in understanding, we talk of wolves and things...

I buy a yak wool hat from a Tibetan refugee, she points out the holes in my boots.  "Yes, I know, I have been walking a lot" and she laughs, gives me butter tea, says I should have a rest.

I get back to the webbed world and there are lots of kind messages.  Photographs have sold and very kind contributions from people who believe and understand in the protection of habitat.  Thank you so much Bernd and Prajwol, exclusive images to you soon.

Not time to rest but maybe time for more tea.  Happy New Year.  Cheers Jack.

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...