Monday, December 8, 2014

Rewilding a leopard - Logistical challenges but then good, very good people help out...


The first image (above) attracted a lot of attention when I posted it in different places a few days ago.  I will be writing more about the dynamics with Asa and I with regard to the rewilding process soon but for now...


...good people, very good people.  I've been delayed getting back to Leopard Camp because a series of events meant I couldn't get any buffalo meat to take up to Asa.  The feeding logistics have been tricky for the four months we've been up here, it's a 500m vertical climb over a few kilometres through mostly jungle each time, sometimes I'm there, back and there twice in some long days... but it has to be done.  There's no doubt Asa is doing his own hunting but at around a year old he still welcomes food from me which of course he would do if he had a real leopard mother.

Paras Singh and Raj Gurung really helped out today to make sure I will get some buff to Asa tomorrow.  It will have been a gap of four days since we have seen each other, that is of course if we do meet up, who knows.  I have to keep him lean, mean and keen... it is a vital part of the rewilding process.

So once again good people helped me out.  There are many, here and overseas who are showing such interest and support that although I'm often on my own in the middle of nowhere, sometimes with a leopard, I never feel alone.  My great friend and sometimes research assistant, Cecile from France, is dedicating several months to the project voluntarily, arriving here late February.  Cecile is multi lingual, knows how to live rough and will be a huge asset during those critical few months leading up to and maybe including monsoon.  Cecile is an example of the passion being shown for the project and the interest I am getting from organizations in different countries regarding the model and strategies I am using is heartwarming.  There are too many people to thank right here and now but it will all happen when it happens.  I do need to sell a lot more photographs and www.mountaintiger.photography is coming along, will be in full swing soon, linking from www.wildtiger.org as well.

My undying belief is that with sacrifice and hard work we can replenish nature, rebuild ecosystems, make things happen on a scale which benefits everybody and everything.  Rewilding this leopard called Asa is a step within that... and it is bringing out the good in people in many ways.  Thank you, cheers Jack.

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...