Saturday, December 5, 2015

Deep dark jungle, where leopards and bears roam...


It was so dark in the jungle high up today that camera traps needed their no glow LED to get an image, so no, I'm not really wearing white as I check another camera.  A thick fog rolled in shortly after and the temperature plummeted.  Even in the middle of the day the visibility up there was tricky.

Back down in the village now before heading back up tomorrow.  Looking forward to a meal with friends from the Sanjiwani Health Post, a crew who do a great job, I'll blog about them and the role of remote health clinics soon.

It's always slightly eerie checking cameras in that area knowing Asa could be watching.  I move quickly into leopard territory, keeping senses alert for pug marks, scat, scratch marks, scent spray, kill evidence, anything that can give clues.  But I don't want to linger in his area long, just pass through because that is how leopards operate, although we are still learning so much about these robust Himalayan cats compared to their lowland relatives.

I keep a close eye out for human disturbance as well.  As I've mentioned several times lately, there is increasing pressure on these areas because of  the shortage of cooking gas due to the crisis. Himalayan black bears have been active, best to avoid those guys, very feisty.

Many challenges but just have to keep on keeping on...

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...