Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Future proofing - images that warm my heart... #leopard #rehabilitation #reintroduction...


I'm just one more skype call from finishing a 24 catch up stint here in Kohulpur where I have 24 hour electricity and internet... and a hot shower. Soon it's back to the jungle and the continued rehabilitation of the leopard Dipnani and many other leopard matters. I'm happy to report the shoot to kill order on the conflict leopard in Baitadi (from where I've just returned) has been lifted, it's a case of people staying away from a female leopard and 2 cubs as she moves dens in her territory. More on that story another day.
For now though I'm really happy with a whole series of images which came up when I was looking through data, they show further interaction between Dipnani and another leopard in the area. Dipnani's den has been set up so she has safe zones, meaning she chooses visual contact and interactions if she wants. Visiting leopards are vital to her progress and while she is still too young (and in rehab phase) to have direct contact, these interactions are important. A huge amount of thought, planning and physical work goes into getting this right, the project is rarely off my mind and as we improve procedure for reintroduction it further opens up the scope for rebuilding ecosystems ... and just as importantly, giving a jewel in nature's crown, the leopard, its right where it needs to be, in the wild..

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...