Monday, May 16, 2016

Leopard v Wolf...


A hot morning but was trying to track a big cat heading towards dog territory. The sign gave out quickly, in some ways it was a relief, to get out of the jungle humidity. Still sweating as I write this on my phone, it's well known that here in Nepal as well as in India, dogs have become a favorite prey of leopards. The big cats forced to live close to human settlements and with declining natural prey base, these are reasons given. Hang on, not so fast. All morning, and for a long time before as I have watched dogs show wolf like behavior, both in packs and alone, I imagine what that triggers in a leopard... the competing carnivore, the apex predator want to be.
"Not only is the dog/wolf a good feed but it is a competitor in my jungle" ... think like a leopard. The more I learn the less I know about the secret cat (and Wikipedia needs a bullshit test), hours in jungles giving classes that only tease the mind...

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...