Saturday, May 21, 2016

A near encounter, keeping big cat's locations safe...


 I was a little surprised when images of Asa appeared on a certain grid, he was there a little over 30 hours before I was. This was the closest we have been in a year. He could well have been watching me. I usually time camera checks for when I think he is in a different zone. The area this camera was in had good prey density though, good for a leopard.
Hemanta calls WildTiger farmers of conservation in that we get our hands dirty. The last few days have been muddy and bloody (thank you leeches). But it was rewarding as I've found sign of an adult female leopard, two sub adults (sex unknown) and Asa. Perhaps now, at close to two and half years old, Asa is the dominant male in the area but really it's not possible to say. The terrain is so steep, this isn't the the African savanna or the Terai, this is the Himalaya, you're either going up or down, it's slippery and leg muscles feel it.
Keeping the data safe is imperative. The surge in poaching is a serious concern and even images I send to colleagues I crop and send the image details separately. There's too much information given away over the net, poachers aren't stupid but stupidity is playing into their hands mainly because of ego and funding tactics.
An interesting thing is that Asa's area has had very little conflict of late, and none with leopard. I've got a theory on this but I need more data to be more sure. The ecosystem is robust as well. Put predators back where they belong and positive things happen. The other two leopards in the program are also doing well. There'll be a report on this when appropriate but like I say, these precious animals need to be kept away from prying eyes. Just let them do what they best, be secret cats, a fundamental part of nature.

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...