Monday, May 23, 2016

The courage of the mountain species...


I thank those who support WildTiger unconditionally.  You know who you are.  In a world where so many talk a big game you go that crucial step further, you make a difference in wildlife protection.

I admire mountain species very much.  It's tough up here.  In this zone where two great cats, the leopard and snow leopard overlap (I'll have more on this relationship soon), there is a harsh and brutal existence in an environment that is unforgiving.  The prey of these great cats, such as Himalayan tahr and blue sheep, I shake my head in wonder at the strength of these animals.  Tough people live here too.  It has been my privilege to live among them for long periods and in those moments where my own legs scream out for rest I am always reminded of the courage of man and beast who reside here, the people and wildlife of the Himalaya.

The spate of leopard skin seizures is a huge concern.  For every seizure no one knows how many leopards have died.  The role of the hunter/poacher is just part of this.  The skins and bones of these big cats usually end up with people who live in cities, places where consumerism knows no boundaries.  Well, there are many ironies I could attach to that statement...

The world as we have altered it means wildlife needs our help more than ever.  Even for these mountain species courage is no guarantee for survival.  Once again I thank those who have the courage to protect.

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...