Saturday, August 15, 2015

Cattle Egret to Kiwi: "Hey bro, check out my ride, where's yours?"


The reply:  "Actually my ride is a pair of tightly laced trail running shoes ready to scoot"

For those worried about my sanity... er... I mean safety (and I know you are mum, you don't have to pretend you're not) there were about twenty metres  of fast flowing river between us.  That water barrier is a good thing to have when being stared down by a rhino.

The image was taken during my early morning walk looking for big cat sign.  These walks, although there is always reason behind them, set up my day.  It's not easy here at the best of times but strikes are making things more difficult, the Constitution is due but there is plenty of protest, not enough compromise at such a critical time in Nepal's juncture.  When you're trying to facilitate something as complex and stressful as a leopard rewilding program, strikes really don't help.

I usually take these walks alone but anyone who does come along has to be a fast runner and good tree climber because rhinos can be dangerous customers.  Keep the right distance, show respect and things are usually ok because rhinos and cattle egrets like all wildlife like to keep things simple.  I wish my own species could do the same...


Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...