Thursday, August 13, 2015

Face of Nepal, a nation needing to unite...




I arrived back in Chitwan yesterday, big cat focused and I'll have more on the Leopard Rewilding Program soon.  However a part of me is still in Simjung where these images were taken.  I wrote a few days ago under a heading which included "not tears, only smiles"... I realize now that wasn't accurate, it's something in between, I saw many of these faces in my dreams last night, stoic, tough but tired, truly tired...

For the umpteenth time Nepal's Constitution is due to be written.  The Prime Minister has called for an end to the violence associated with protests against the proposed State System.  This is not a united country, it has struggled for a long time with factors of fragmentation including over one hundred different languages, countless political parties and a complex caste system along with the most challenging landscape on our planet.

No one is trying to sugar coat it, Nepal has to unite or the struggle will continue.  Dealing with issues such as earthquakes and a tough climate in this Himalayan nation are not helped by a fragmented society.  It can change but everyone has to really want that change.

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...