Sunday, August 23, 2015

Saying a prayer fro a country...


A couple of weeks ago in Kathmandu I took this image while waiting to meet a contact near Durbar Square.  A solemn young woman entered the room to say a small prayer.

In many ways it is indicative of the mood here.  It is not really possible to describe.  I find that even experiencing it and trying to understand it leaves only confusion, everyone I talk to feels the same way.  A nation very used to hardship is struggling to make sense of things.  The headlines today are not good as members of the Constituent Assembly team of one party resign in protest, there are continual strikes with sporadic outbreaks of violence.  Human trafficking is raising its ugly head more and more as young women are taken advantage due to increased economic pressure caused by the earthquake.  I could go on and on.

Yes, foreign aid is still coming in, often filtered to who knows where but the fact is the country does not need millions, it needs billions.  It did before the earthquakes anyway.  As I've mentioned before if things don't come improve here the world will suffer.  A country so important as a water supply cannot be allowed to be in strife like this.

On a personal level I am finding it very hard to see those around me struggle. Feeling like this and not being in the best of health now myself,  I would normally get out for a several weeks to freshen up mentally and physically but that is simply not possible as there is too much to be done.  It is a matter of just trying to make a little progress each day.

I'm behind in replies to messages and sending out images, I'm going to spend the next few hours trying to catch up.  I thank those sending messages of support and buying images.  I get many questions and sometimes advice but to be honest trying to make sense of the situation here is folly, it is just better to get on with it and do some work.

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...