Thursday, September 3, 2015

The Constitution: Has Nepal bitten off more than it can chew? Doesn't help when dealing with big cats...


I wrote briefly yesterday on Facebook of my affection for Nepal. I'm surprised that no one picked up on the fact that magic actually comes in a bottle when it comes to hair colour. I know us Kiwis have a dry wit but come on people, think about it!
Seriously though, things are in a state of flux here. In the last few weeks I've had a couple of messages advising to just "concentrate on the leopards"... those people having no idea how each and every political fallout has ramifications that extend to leopards, extend to everything.  Like leopards, tigers, we have to very aware of what is going on around us.  Then there are a couple of documentary makers who write to me say "yeah Jack!  Tell it how it  is!" and not quite understanding that it is not exactly fun.  But I know you mean well guys...
Federalism in an already divided country, this is what the current Constitution draft would bring. The divisions are getting deeper, there is a lot of tension, a lot of violence and too many deaths. Desperate people do desperate things. The UN Secretary General said yesterday he is very concerned. Join the club mate.
In a couple of hours I'm heading to Kathmandu for talks on leopards, anti-poaching and generally giving my all to try and make a vision realized. We're very close now to signed off agreements and then in many ways in it gets harder again. Big cats are big cats, they have their own set of rules and when you're trying to get stuff done in a country which is so divided about what sort of rules it should operate under the connection between the two is in your face every day.

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...